Jun 23, 2012

A mothers respect?


A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim). 

Source: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B3ErB7mcGwo/TmpAsLUdShI/AAAAAAAACZQ/cwQ5yqpmCpc/s1600/mom.jpeg
This is a well known Hadeeth in Islam. And goes to show how Islam teaches us a mothers worth. The mother. The mother. The mother. And then the father. That is overwhelmingly powerful in my eyes. My question is, why is it that Saudi society does not hold mothers in such high esteem. Yes, I will agree from the get go, that it is not the case in every household. But I find that many sons, do not respect their mother on the same level they respect their own father. The mother that carried them into term. The mother that was there for them for every scratch, and every sad and happy moment. Yet once that boy becomes of age, he is suddenly more powerful then his own mother. He is in charge of what she does. He has the power to control where she goes, and what she does. If the father has passed on. This mother must request permission to travel from the very son she gave birth to.  I have found that sadly in this country, many boys (I shall not call them men) feel they have power over their mother. I can not count how many times a mother has had to beg her son to take her somewhere, and seeing that at that age a boy eyes are only filled with friends, he puts her on the back burner. That very mother that would end her life for her child, is not worthy of her sons respect. Why? because this society has taught him that. No matter how many hadeeths show the power of the mother, the society has stripped it all away. You will notice when a father comes into a room here, the children will stand up and kiss their father on the head, yet the mother will come in and nothing is done for her. This came to me today, and I hope that I can teach my sons better. I pray that my sons will respect me for what I am, not what this society teaches them. I hope that perhaps I will not be stuck begging my sons to drive me around, as hopefully the practice of gender selected driving will be over.

4 comments:

  1. I am always telling my son this and how important Allah says mothers are. I agree that men here do not really respect women in general. When bad things happen to women I hear they deserve it but when its a man they say its a woman's fault. I will never ever get this way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allah knows best :)

    Thank you for sharing a wonderful Hadith/saying of the beloved Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam, Um Lujayn :)

    Can I ask you some personal questions? Like, how old are you? Where do you live? What is your current job/profession?

    I think it'd be nice if you continued sharing more of your Islamic knowledge to earn more reward from Allah insha-Allah :)

    my blog: mababaya.blogspot.com

    wasalaam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Alaykoum, I agree with you..!!!... You know me I converted to islam alhamdoullilah, but I didn't converted at all to Saudi culture..!!!...(loll) Unfortunately, much Saudi people believe than their culture is from Islam, islamic ...Alhamdoullilah I have the holy Qu'ran with me to guide me on the right islamic way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, you're so right. It's sad to see this in Saudi. I think a lot of the responsibility is also on the husband, how he treats the children's mother. The kids, especially boys will copy his behavior. It's like a never-ending cycle!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Message.... Thanks :)