Dec 31, 2011

Lingerie SalesMEN no more :D

Hello there folks...



For as long as I had this blog... I had a sign that stated 'Say NO to SalesMEN in Saudi'... it has been a hot topic for many locally & internationally. There have been several times where men were told that the this double standard act had to stop- where men and women are strictly banned from mingling, yet we as women had to buy some of our most intimate belongings from MEN. Many chose to ignore the decrees where they were told the jobs had to be handed over to women instead of the men who currently held the position. Just imagine walking into a shop to buy yoursel funderwear, you pick up a 34C, and then a man comes out no where and says, this 36C looks about your size! Excuse me!!! The nerve right? Well this was a normal occurance for women across this nation. Many completely stopped buying their intimates from Saudi, and waited to indulge while the travelled. I remember once when I was in teh La Vie en ROse pictured bellow (before it became family only- women sales reps- I was buying some pyjamas, and then the sales clerk - a man- tried to get me to buy this feathery looking whips! He continued on to tell me that the black is nice, but the red one would be much nicer! The nerve! Something I wouldn't even talk to my husband about, and now I had some perve trying to sell me some feathery whips! I will leave the use for it to you imagination!!!

Many of the owners of these franchises refused to listen to the decree, or the many calls by the labour minister that this had to be put to an end, that  they needed to train women- but alas..... ladies we have finally done it! I can now safely remove the banner from my blog, and change it to something else. Now that we have finally been allowed the dignity of buying out own intimates... can I please be given the dignity to take my self in my own car to purchase them? Pretty please? That is my next Banner. I pray that sometime n teh near future my latest banner will be allowed to retire as something from the past. That one day they will allow us women to live as adults in this nation.  ... So Alf Mabrook ladies... .. now lets continue on and hopefully be able to drive OURSELVES to the lingerie store!


Taken at Kindom Mall Riyadh







Some articles on the subject;

80% of ladies stores begin hiring Saudi saleswomen, says JCCI

Saudi begins goodbye to male lingerie salesmen 

Saleswomen Seize Power in Saudi Arabia's Lingerie Shops






lll

2 comments:

  1. LOL loved the post, and the new banner! Inshallah soon. I have yet to visit these stores with saleswomen in them but hopefully it will open doors to women working in other stores are well and along side men and the whole ridiculous segregation of the sexes to disappear. Women should have the right to privacy and to a women's only section of anywhere but they should not be forced away from jobs or from normal interactions with men. I don't see how a man and a woman in a public place full of people will be doing something sinful. And believe me, if a man and a woman want to do something sinful they will find a way and a place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salaamu aliakum, yeah I lived in Saudi for a year w/ my family to work and as a female, a muhajabaat and a human being i HATED shopping in 98% of shops cept a few big shops where people leave you alone and abaya shops...LOL...going into any store that sold cloting, esp undies and stuff was HUMILIATING, I could never bring myself to actually ever buy any of that stuff! No wonder 90% of the people youd see actually buying stuff in places like Nayomi or whereever were men (husbands, sons, brothers) or elderly women o large groups of women. Its humiliating! You dont want to buy anything, you dont even want to look to ask about sizing! Its sooo indecent and modest! And for a place like Saudi what a contradition! I think its far more haraam for a Muslim woman go ask about bra sizes from a male salesperson than not! No wonder most women just grab and go... many dont even wear the right sizes...cuz its others picking for them! ugh, horrible! That was my biggest pet peeve while there....that and darn stupid return policies!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Message.... Thanks :)