Oct 18, 2008

Tagged: When in the Masjid

I was tagged a while back by Stranger In This Dunya, and well here are my 3 topics:
1. I have found that there are many people that come to the masjid not exactly looking or smelling their best. I have on more then one occasion been forced to relocate to a new spot due terribly offensive smells. In Islam we are taught about cleanliness. I just wish people would actually follow the teachings of our Prophet (PBUH).
  • Imams Bukhari and Muslim reported that the prophet (S.A.W.) said: "Who ever eats garlic, onion, then keeps away from our Masjid because the angels get offended from what offends the children of Adam." Imam Muslim reported that Omar (R.A.) used to say while he on the Minbar: "I saw the prophet (S.A.W.) when he found their smell (garlic, onion) from a man in the Masjid, he ordered him to be taken out." then Omar said: "If you must eat them, then cook them well.." 
2. Another thing that bothers me, is when people walk infront of you while youa re praying. I have been taught from a very young age, NEVER to walk infront of a praying person, yet you see people doing that with no regard to the person who is praying:
  • The Muslim should not pass in front of the praying Muslim. Imams Bukhari, Muslim and others reported that the prophet (S.A.W.) said: "If the passer in front of the praying person knew how much sin he committed, it would have been better for him to wait for forty than to pass in front of him."
3. People not keeping not touching feet to feet. I was taught that when you are praying as part of a group, that you should keep your feet at shoulders length and have your foot touch the person next to you. I remember many times that people have followed this il7amdilaah... but I have also witnessed many people moving their feet away and leaving spaces between one another (at times spaces so wide a person could easily fit between them)
  • Al-Haafidh (Ibn Hajr) ascribed this wording to Sa'eed ibn Mansoor and al-Ismaa'eelee. Al-Bukhaaree gave a chapter heading for this Hadith by saying: Chapter: 'Adjoining the shoulder with the shoulder and the foot with the foot in the row (for prayer).' As for the Hadith of an-Nu'maan (ibn Basheer) then it is as follows: The Hadith of an-Nu'maan ibn Basheer. [The Prophet (SAAS) said:] "Straighten your rows (he said it three times), by Allaah either you straighten your rows or Allaah will cause conflict between your hearts."
Sources:

4 comments:

  1. I agree on the smell thing...but in this middle eastern heat and humidity...its a given that people arent going to always smell their best in the mosque. Then again...sweating is one thing...having a garlic onion sandwich for lunch is quite another.

    I hate when people walk in front of me...and how many times have they actually trod on me while my head is down...stepping on my toes or dragging my hijab (when I wore it) with them...ugh! I realize Im praying and should be concentrating on things other than slipping out my hand and tripping the offender up...but hey....Im human in the end.

    Standing feet to feet shoulder width apart is good...but some take it to the extreme and squeeze themselves into a line that clearly has no room for them...causing everyone to now perform rukus and sujuds while being forced to encroach on their neighbors "turf"...no need to pack it in like sardines when theres plenty of room in the second line...eh?

    btw first time commenter...nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Coolreds... I thank you very much for passing by my blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's not just me who gets my head trampled on in the mosque then! Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only been to the mosque twice here and both times were the Eid morning after Ramadan. Thanks for posting the info - I didn't know about the feet!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a Message.... Thanks :)

Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

A stroll down memory lane:

Search This Blog